Wednesday, February 1, 2012

King Edward Hotel, Toronto

Miss E. George
Gelert(?) - P.V.
Ontario


July 21/10
Dear Etta
       Mother and I were going out there Saturday. I sent Flora H a card telling her and now I am not sure whether the trains will be running since the strike is on. If you see her tell her. Good bye. Lillie Sherman.


P.S. If I get there I will go and see you. Maybe you will be at the station Saturday night.
                                                                                                                     Lillian




Postage on the stamp was one cent. My, my, how times have changed. Also, the front of the postcard is a picture of the King Edward Hotel in Toronto, which is still there today! And perhaps the coal strike Lillian speaks of is in reference to the Westmoreland County Coal Strike of 1910-1911, considering coal was used to power trains of the time? If you're interested, there's an article you can look at regarding it on Wikipedia here, and also a (potentially) more reliable source with less to say about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment